@BOXCAKEBLOG

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Local List: My Favorite Pizza (Chapter One)

PIZZERIA STELLA (1327 LAURIER AVE. EAST)
A friend once told me that almost all the pizza she'd consumed that year had been with me. I was pretty thrilled (like I was some kind of pizzeria sherpa!) then promptly started questioning some life choices of mine. She and I routinely go out for pizza, but the ones we eat together are just a fraction of my own yearly quota. Do I eat too much pizza???

Don't answer that.

Anyway, my love for it has hardly slowed down since then. Fancy, fast and cheap, frozen... If the pizza tastes good, I could eat it every day (and very likely WOULD without Josh home lol). But I'm also a tough critic. Montreal is brimming with incredible, creative, delicious options. Wasting time on bad pizza is a pity.

Instead of compiling one massive list of favorite spots (an impossible task), I've decided to share them one by one. Each deserves a dedicated post, they're that good.

Kicking the series off with Stella in the Plateau. I don't think people talk enough about this place!

Pretty sure this is their Printanière pizza, not my first choice but looks terrific regardless!
The Food

First and foremost, Stella makes a SOLID margarita. Tasty, tangy sauce (but not too much). Globs of cheese that melt nicely. Great dough, good crust, none of those too-burnt air bubbles you're forced to eat around. If memory serves me correctly, their pizza also has some kind of cornmeal dusting on the bottom. Delicious.

And speaking of pizza bottoms... I've never had a soggy one here. Not even the middle. That's real proof of an excellent 'za.

Stella's other pizzas boast interesting flavor combinations. The Orientale is so good. It has A LOT going on (lamb meatballs, mint yogurt sauce, pistachio pesto, etc) and things start getting heavy after your second slice, so I recommend sharing it :)

Finally, it's important to know that their pasta is homemade (and so good omg).


The Wine

Let me get real with you: They have an impressive wine selection, but all I care about is their twenty-dollar-a-bottle special, offered on Sundays and Mondays.

Normally this kind of deal is just a ploy to lure in customers with sad wine. Not the case here. In the past, they offered a choice between red and white, usually private imports you won't find at the SAQ, and the quality is remarkable. (Total steal for the price!)


The Vibe

The interior design is really lovely. Beautiful, actually. Feels clean, upscale, but not pretentious. The staff is helpful and friendly. I've eaten there when its been quiet, and also jam-packed, and had enjoyable experiences both ways. Very cute, surprisingly comfy spot for a pizza night (and catch-up session) with a friend. Josh and I have also taken our families here and they gave the restaurant rave reviews :)

*

As always, I love hearing what you have to say! Have you been to Stella? Do you have a number one favorite pizza place in the city? I'm all ears.

And in case you're curious, here are a couple places I have lined up to blab about next: Café Parvis, Magpie Tavern, Gema... Stay tuned ;)

Image credit (interiors): Design Marilou
Image credit (pizza): Tastet
Back to Top