@BOXCAKEBLOG

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Local List: My Favorite Pizza (Chapter Four)

PIZZERIA GEMA (6827 ST. DOMINIQUE)
Before diving into the next chapter of my love story with pizza, I want to echo a sentiment most of us are feeling today, as Montreal enters another code red lockdown. Yes, it sucks. No, it won't last forever. Until the pandemic is finally behind us, our restaurant scene is taking a huge economic hit. Again. If you have the means and love your local eateries, consider occasionally ordering take-out this month :)

*

It was only a matter of time before Pizzeria Gema found its way onto the blog. For me, Gema is tied with Stella for best Neopolitan-style pizza in the city. 


The Vibe

There's something really warm and inviting about having dinner here. The space feels intimate, the atmosphere is stylish but chill -- an ideal vibe for grabbing pizza with friends. I don't mind being seated at the bar, either, and theirs has ample space. Gema gets pretty busy (it's only ever been a full house when I've gone). Make sure to call ahead for a table.


The Eats

The 1889 is a margarita with buffalo mozzarella and, unsurprisingly, my fail-safe choice. Good, salty, crunchy crust. Smooth, gently tangy tomato sauce. Always, always ask for spicy oil on the side. (Be warned: It is HOT, so a little goes a long way.)

If you're into Hawaiian pizza, theirs is next level with grilled pineapple and maple ham. I should also confess that the Ruliano (melted leeks, fontina cheese, prosciutto confit) is actually my favorite option on Gema's menu -- I haven't tried anything like it elsewhere. The only problem: I'm not always ready to commit to all that flavor for an entire pizza. (That's when splitting pies with your group comes in handy.)

La Collective is the one I'm most excited to try next. It was concocted in collaboration with three other pizzerias, and a portion of the profits from this particular 'za will be donated to support Montreal's restaurant workers. As if that wasn't incentive enough, La Collective has cheddar and freakin' WHIPPED RICOTTA on top. Obviously, I'm sold.

Gema's homemade frozen custard (and all the toppings) is really, REALLY good. Frankly, chocolate ice cream + amaretto cherries = perfection. To be honest, I think the custard is a smidge pricey, but definitely worth tasting at least once.

Their wine list is extensive and includes plenty of by-the-glass options, but I'm just as happy ordering their Aperol Spritz. There really isn't a wrong answer at this place ;)

*

Have you eaten at Gema before? I'd love to hear what you think!

Image credit (top): Caserne
Image credit (middle): Zebulon Perron
Image credit (bottom): Time Out

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top