@BOXCAKEBLOG

Monday, June 14, 2021

Local List: My Favorite Pizza (Chapter Five)

San Gennaro snuck up on me this year, quietly becoming the pizza delivery of choice in our house. For years, I dismissed the spot as an old-school Italian cafe, mostly on my radar for espresso and pastries. Big mistake. (Big! Huge!)

First thing to know: San Gennaro makes square pizza. Perfectly soft, chewy dough is bordered by a crunchy, salty crust. (I strongly suggest shotgunning a corner-piece right away -- those are the best part.) Their tomato sauce tastes fresh and bright; toppings are doled out generously.

The caciocavallo is my stand-out favorite. It's a white pizza, topped with the softest slices of potato, then blanketed with a thick layer of gooey cheese. Yes, it's decadent, but also totally worth that hit of lactaid. The pepperoni pizza is a close second, though, and easily one of the best no-frills traditional pies in Montreal. While I don't normally consume a ton of meat, exceptions are made when a pizza has small pepperoni rounds on top of the cheese (instead of baked under it) like the one at SG.

My extensive research (i.e. eating take-out) has actually proven that these two pizzas perfectly compliment each other. It is very, very important to always order both ;)

San Gennaro pizza also holds up wonderfully as next-day leftovers, heated up in the oven until the cheese starts oozing again.

Finally, if you're jonesing for dessert, don't skip the bomboloni (custard-filled donuts rolled in white sugar). They come in a handful of flavors -- vanilla custard, nutella, pistachio -- you can't go wrong with any of them. 

Hungry for more pizza? Feel free to browse my other posts about cherished spots like StellaParvis, and Gema.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top